i've been having a hard time figuring out my work/work out schedule since my kids have been home from school. and our dinners (since we're going to the pool everyday) have been a little rushed and late. so, i was looking to ease things up a bit with some crock pot recipes. i googled 'crock pot recipes' and found lots of random disgusting things. but, i trusted 'all-recipes.com' because there are lots of reviews and i've heard good things about it. BUT, look at some of these recipes:
SLOW COOKED SQUIRREL
* 2 squirrels - skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces
* 4 large potatoes, quartered
* 1 pound carrots, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 4 onions, sliced
* 2 cups water
* 1/4 medium head cabbage
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a slow cooker, place the squirrel meat, potatoes, carrots, green bell pepper, onions, water, cabbage, salt and ground black pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
SHREDDED VENISON SANDWICHES
* 4 pounds boneless venison roast
* 1 1/2 cups ketchup
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon ground mustard
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
* 2 teaspoons celery salt
* 2 teaspoons pepper
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 3 drops hot pepper sauce
* 14 hamburger buns, split
1. Cut venison roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, Liquid Smoke if desired and seasonings. Pour over venison. Cover and cook on high for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
2. Remove the roast; set aside to cool. Strain sauce and return to slow cooker. Shred meat, using to two forks; stir into sauce and heat through. Using a slotted spoon, spoon meat mixture onto each bun.
DELICIOUS BEEF TONGUE TACOS
* 1 beef tongue
* 1/2 white onion, sliced
* 5 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 bay leaf
* salt to taste
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 5 Roma tomatoes
* 5 serrano peppers
* salt to taste
* 1/2 onion, diced
* 2 (10 ounce) packages corn tortillas
1. Place the beef tongue in a slow cooker and cover with water. Add the onion slices, garlic, and bay leaf. Season with salt. Cover and cook on Low overnight or 8 hours. Remove the tongue and shred the meat into strands.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the tomatoes and peppers in the hot oil until softened on all sides. Remove the tomatoes and peppers in a blender, keeping the oil on the heat; season with salt. Blend briefly until still slightly chunky. Cook the diced onion in the skillet until translucent; stir in the tomato mixture. Cook another 5 to 6 minutes. Build the tacos by placing shrehttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifdded tongue meat into a tortilla and spooning salsa over the meat.
And I loved some of the reviews for the squirrel:
"This is just the way my mom used to cook squirrel"
"Y'all should try this! The hard part is skinning it, but once that's done, its easy as apple pie!"
"This is the first time i tried squirrel w/cabbage,it was pretty taisty,this is a good recipie" (love the spelling!)
And, while I was looking for a photo to go with this post, I discovered an this exciting website where I can buy freeze-dried, canned squirrel, bone in or bone out. I'm thrilled! Now I've got my summer menu all planned!