Sunday, June 22, 2008

Really, really good Chocolate Torte (Gluten Free!)


I think I have talked to some of you about this really good, dense chocolate flour-less torte or cake. I found the recipe on line but I can't remember where. It reminds me of a flour-less cake I made years ago as well as one Tina makes. They had a pound of butter in them with lots of eggs and they were really fattening. This one is delicious and if I fed it to you, you would never guess the secret ingredient in it!!! It doesn't have a pound of butter... but it does have protein and fiber in it which is a bonus as well as being gluten free for the J-man! woo-hoo!
Chocolate Torte
1 1/2 C Chocolate chips
1 15-19 oz can of drained garbanzo beans
4 eggs
3/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350* and grease and "flour" a spring form pan with coco powder.
2. Melt the chocolate chips.
3. In food processor, combine eggs and garbanzo beans until completely smooth.
4. Add sugar, baking powder and vanilla. Then add in melted chocolate while processor is going.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let cool about 15 minutes before removing from the pan. The center will sink down a bit.
The original recipe did not call for any topping but I think it is a must. I made a simple chocolate frosting the first time (in picture). I think chocolate whipped cream would be delicious as well as a ganache poured on top. Vaughn doesn't love really dense chocolate things so the second time I made it, I used half white chocolate chips and half semi sweet, topped with cream cheese frosting and it turned out great. I thought the frosting was a little over the top but V loved it. I guess milk chocolate could be used as well instead of semi sweet chocolate.
Anyway, give this a try. I think you will be surprised, but please don't tell my kids what is in it!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Hey, Steph! That looks so good and how funny that it had garbanzo beans! I'm so intrigued! Plus, I almost ALWAYS have all that stuff on hand. So great.

What size spring form pan does it need?

happytape! said...

wow! interesting! i want to try it.

i can't picture it with frosting--i'm thinking of my torte, which would tear apart if i tried to frost it. is this more cake-y?

Stepi said...

It is pretty dense and frosted just fine. It is not exactly like your torte. but this definitely needs a topping. My new love is chocolate whipped cream which I was going to use on fathers day on this, but mom had extra cream cheese frosting so I used that instead--too sweet for me, but V loved it.