Friday, February 27, 2009

Cinnamon as Savory

Butternut Bisque

I HAVE to put this soup recipe in! It was SO delicious. You all must make it! I think it was the first savory thing I've made that called for cinnamon. But it wasn't the last. I just made Emily's Butter Chicken, another savory recipe with cinnamon. It was fabulous! You all must make it too!
I'll give you the recipe as I had it (from the mini magazine Everyday Foods) but also a tip from Stephanie that makes the recipe a lot easier.

Okay, Steph's tip: The hardest part about this recipe is the stinkin' peeling of the butternut squash so instead of doing that Steph suggested cutting it in halves, flipping the cut sides onto a baking pan and roasting it. That way you can scoop out the flesh from the squash shell. MUCH EASIER! I'll do that next time. Thanks, Steph!

3 Tbp. butter
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
coarse salt
1 large butternut squash (about 4 lbs.), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1" cubes
1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken
1 c. half and half
1 Tbp. fresh lemon juice
sour cream, for serving

1. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onions, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, and cayenne. Season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add squash, broth, half and half, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Working in batches, puree in a blender until smooth. Stir in lemon juice; season with salt. Serve bisque with sour cream, garnished with cayenne, if desired.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I like the way I make it- show up at Kathy's house when she's serving leftovers. I can vouch this soup is Yum!

happytape! said...

i've made butternut squash soup 2 x in the past two weeks! i'm trying to perfect my recipe, so i'm so happy to have just found this one! something is missing with mine.

thanks!