Thursday, September 11, 2008

K Dub's Tamale Pie

Well, I made Kathy's Tamale pie this week and Vaughn and I loved it. It was yummy and I love having left overs for lunch instead of pbh with Sasha. So, here it is. Try it tonight! (My picky kids on the other hand, picked out what they liked from it. Man, kids are the biggest food snobs! Way bigger than the rest of us!).

KWB's Tamale Pie (with some slight alterations)
Brown:
1 lb ground beef
1 diced onion
1 minced clove garlic
(I added some taco seasoning here)

Stir in:
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 can green chiles
1 small can olives
1 1/2 c. cheese (I didnt add this because I dont think I noticed it before)

Pour into a 9x13 pan and cover with cornmeal layer.

Cornmeal layer: So yummy I was eating it plain.
In saucepan bring to boil:
1 1/2 c milk
1 tsp salt
2 Tb butter

Remove from heat for a few minutes then stir in:
3/4 c cornmeal
2 beaten eggs
1 c grated cheese
1 can creamed corn (optional. I didnt use it)

Spoon onto meat layer and bake at 350* for about 40 minutes.
Thanks Kath. We really liked it. Vaughn wants it once a week.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

We always love this recipe. Makes a ton and pretty good. I love the cornmeal part too. In Argentina, polenta was pretty popular and I really liked it. I would like to learn more recipes with a polenta something, something.
Thanks Steph!

Stepi said...

Vaughn gave me a polenta cookbook several years ago. I have only made polenta a few times but I need to look at that book again. It is something that Jonah could eat and it seems like there are a lot of variations on flavor. I'll have to try it out on him!

Emily said...

There is a whole book on polenta?