Monday, June 2, 2008

Tina's Creme Brulee... Oh my.. (and it is gluten Free..yippeee)

Here is Tina's requested recipe. I have read lots of Creme Brulee recipes (mom even gave me a small cookbook of all CB recipes) and I still love this recipe the best. It is simple and so yummy.

3 C Heavy cream (I admit I have used half n' half before)
1-2 tsp vanilla
6 large egg yolks
1/2 C sugar
more sugar for brulee-ing the top

Heat oven to 350*. Bring cream to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from burner and add vanilla.
In mixing bowl, whisk yolks and sugar until thick, pale yellow. Stir the hot cream in slowly, drip by drip until combined. Don't whip it or you will get it to foamy. Strain mixture and pour into eight 4 oz ramekins in a baking pan. Pour hot water into baking pan, coming up half way up sides of ramekins. Bake in water bath for 30-35 minutes, until the tops are set, but the custard in the center is still quite soft to the touch. Carefully remove the ramekins from the hot water and let cool. Refrigerate til ready to use.

Sprinkle tops with 1-2 T of sugar in an even layer. (I dont think I use this much). Light torch and melt and carmalize the sugar with torch. You want it a golden amber color not just clear but dont burn it because that tastes yucky. (duhh!) Let sugar rest about 1 minute to harden. Eat up!

1 comments:

Emily said...

When I worked at Borders there was a funny kids cookbook with gross recipes and one was for Fleghm Brulee, so that is what I think of ever since. Yours sounds better.