Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The BEST Peanut Butter [brittle] Cookies Ever


I found this recipe on Kill the Gluten blog when Jonah was first diagnosed with Celiacs. They really are the best P.B. cookies I have ever had. (I made them in Albuquerque for Kathy--what do you think Kath?) We make them about once a week. We almost always use chocolate chips in them but they are delicious plain as well.

I love experimenting, even on something that is near perfect anyway, so last week I added about two handfuls of mini marshmallows and oh my......let me tell you, they are now more amazing cookies. We have named them Peanut Brittle Cookies because some of the marshmallows melt on the sheet and caramelize to a crispy brittle while other marshmallows melt into the cookie leaving a chewy caramel like texture. I am all about texture in food and these have it all. They may not be perfect round cookies now because you never know which way the marshmallow melts but they are worth it anyway. We will still make them just PB but if you want extra special try the "brittle"!


Peanut Butter [Brittle] Cookies

1 C peanut butter (I use crunchy and it should be Jiff or Skippy type)
3/4 C sugar
1 beaten egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C chocolate chips (or more or without)
about 1 cup mini marshmallows (optional)

Combine the PB, sugar, egg, baking soda and salt together. Mix in chocolate chips and marshmallows. I then use a cookie scoop to put dough on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper. You could also roll in balls as well. I always flatten just a bit. Bake in a 350* oven 10 to 14 minutes. If you make them with the marshmallows, let the melted marshmallows turn a golden color before removing, and use parchment or a silpat. I think the cookies would be hard to remove from the cookie sheet without it.

1 comments:

Kathy said...

Ooooo, I'm gonna have to try them with the marshmallows! Sounds and looks yummy!

I did love those cookies! I love peanut butter cookies and how amazing that these don't have any flour in them!