Monday, June 16, 2008

How We Eat Fruit (and its GF)

You all know how some of my children (one to be exact) have an extremely difficult time eating fruit and refuses all veggies...ALL! So I try to get things down any way I can. So we have these fruit smoothies at least once a week but usually more. I try to pack as much fruit in it and as few carbohydrates as possible.
FULL OF FRUIT SMOOTHIES
1. First use about 12 to 16 ounces of frozen fruit. I usually use a whole bag of mixed berries from Trader Joe's but in this one I only had part of a bag so I put in frozen mango also. If you let it sit in the blender for about 5-10 minutes it will be easier to mix, but I really rarely do that.
2. Add one cup of milk and then start blending. I usually stop a bunch and loosen it up.
3. This is my secret...I add one 12 ounce can of Diet 7up or diet Sprite or Diet Squirt or Diet Hansens Soda (Pomegranite was really good). Then keep blending.
4. Once it is mostly the thickness you like, taste it. Sometimes I add splenda if the fruit is not sweet enough. I will also add a titch of almond or vanilla flavoring if it seems to be lacking something. (And sometimes you need a little more liquid if it stays too thick.)
5. It seems to divide perfectly into five of these kids Ikea cups. We all love them, but all my kids have decided a straw is a must. It makes it fancy.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Looks nutritious and delicious!

happytape! said...

yum!

i make smoothies a lot, but i've never added soda. that sounds tasty. for flavoring, you should try a little lime or lemon juice--gives it a little zip.

my smoothies are a lot like yours, except i usually add a little oj to the fruit (doesn't work for diabetics, though, right?) and a little heavy cream or greek yogurt so they are creamy/fruity, not just fruity. i'm sure they are worse for you than the fruity kind, but i love them anyway.

i wish i could make some coconut smoothie that resembled the merlino's coconut thing. i've tried several times, but haven't found anything perfect.