Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Last Week's Menu

I decided to stop trying to be fancy when making my weekly dinner lists. I had all these grandiose plans of weekly lists and recipes together and they would be all neat and orderly, but that never happened. I kept waiting to start it. You know how it goes. I decided to simplify and so far it’s working. I wrote out a bunch of regular meals we like in categories of chicken, fish, beef, vegetarian, soups, salads and breakfasts. (We often have breakfast for dinner because they are so fast). Then I just quickly picked five of those meals and decided what I needed to buy. I usually only pick five meals because there is often leftovers or last minute changes. I try to have lots of fruit and veggies, even canned, for the sides to the main courses. So here is what we ate last week. I’m putting in the Teriyaki salmon recipe that Jonah begged for. It is really easy. Isn’t it funny that a boy who will eat barely anything loves salmon like crazy? What did you eat?

1. Teriyaki Salmon with lemon rice
2. Baked Potato Soup
3. Breakfast- scrambled eggs, bacon, berry smoothies, and gluten free apple muffins.
4. Chicken tacos with homemade black beans
5. Soybean spaghetti with alfrado sauce and salad. We also ended up with potato skins with marinara sauce and cheese this night.

Teriyaki Salmon from the Moosewood Cookbook
6 Salmon, monkfish or tuna steaks

½ C soy sauce (GF)
2 tsp fresh grated ginger (but I used about ½-1 tsp of powdered ginger)
½ C rice wine vinegar (calls for rice wine but I used this)
1-2 T sugar (I used brown sugar)
2 cloves minced garlic

In a glass bowl combine the marinade ingredients then place fish in it for at least half an hour, turning once or twice. Broil on a foil covered cookie sheet about 5 minutes then turn and broil about 5 minutes more. It will be opaque and flakes when done. It may also be grilled which sounds delicious but I haven’t done that yet.

Lemon Rice
2 C water
1 C rice
2-3 T butter
1 tsp salt
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon

Combine all ingredients in pan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer until done.

1 comments:

Kathy said...

I would like to start making more fish. I think I always over cook it though.

For meal plans: Usually, around the first Sunday of the month, I write down a month or two weeks of meals, cooking like 4-5 times a week because of leftovers. I don't buy groceries for a month but I love not having to think about what to make. I write it on my calendar and where the recipe is.

This past month has been different, of course. But before Cameron was born, I doubled up on a few meals. And this week we have just finished them, so not too exciting.

-corn chowder
-that yummy cabbage/ham/white bean soup
-Scott made Puff Pancakes last night
-a breakfast casserole that we all just love

So in the next couple of days I need to actually start cooking dinner and not just thawing it. Or unthawing...that just makes me laugh. :)...irregardless does too.

Anyway...