Sunday, May 25, 2008

I love soup

Well, I have decided to revive the food blog since my life so revolves around food and now that I am getting the hang of gluten free eating, I thought I would post some of those recipes as well. I am writing the recipes gluten free and putting (GF) for gluten free when necessary. Just ignore that if you don't care about gluten.

These are two of my most favorite soups of all time. I find that soups are generally fast and tasty at the same time so I try to make them once a week. My kids don't love the Hot and Sour Soup but Vaughn and I think it is fantastic and way better than any restaurant's! It makes great leftovers.

Hot and Sour Soup

1-2 pork chops
3-4 mushrooms
3 C chicken broth (GF)
3 T. cider vinegar
2 tsp. soy sauce (GF)
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ C sliced bamboo shoots, cut into shreds
4 water chestnuts, chopped
½ pound firm tofu cut into ½ inch cubes
2 T. corn starch
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp. pepper
Salt

Cut pork into thin strips. Slice mushrooms. Bring broth to a boil. Add vinegar,soy sauce and cayenne then add pork and stir to cook and separate. Add bamboo, chestnuts and tofu. Bring to a simmer. Combine cornstarch with ½ cup water and add to soup. Bring to a boil to thicken. Drizzle in the beaten egg then stir the soup gently to break up the egg. Add salt and pepper to taste.

You can add as much or as little of the pork, bamboo, water chestnuts or tofu that you want. Since you don't use the whole cans of bamboo shoots and water chestnuts I freeze them for later and they seem to be just fine.

Baked Potato Soup
While I was poking holes in the potatoes with a fork to bake them for this soup, I wondered does it really make a difference. I found out about an hour later when I heard a big boom. I went searching through my house to see if anybody knew what it was but nobody did so I gave up. It wasn't until I checked the potatoes later that I realized one had exploded in the oven. Bits of burning potato were stuck on the walls and floor while the smoke set off my fire alarm. The funny thing was I thought I had poked them all anyway! I guess it is necessary to poke the potatoes before baking.

4-10 baked potatoes
1/4-2/3 C butter
2/3 C flour (or Rice flour)
6 C milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Chicken broth or more milk

Toppings I like:
Chopped bacon
Sautéed mushrooms
Shredded cheese
Green onions
Sour cream

Bake potatoes in 400* about an hour, or until done. This can be done ahead. When they can be handled, cut in half and scoop out the insides and coarsely chop. Discard skins or use later for filled potato skins. In large pan melt butter and stir in flour cooking about 1 minute. Whisk in milk a little at a time stirring until thickened. Add potatoes and salt and pepper to taste. I have added poultry seasoning (rosemary, marjoram, thyme) and often need chicken broth to thin the soup. I like to really mash the potatoes so sometimes it gets too thick. I always dish up the soup and let everyone add their favorite toppings themselves. You can tell from the picture I like a lot of toppings.

Potato Skins

Brush with olive oil or butter. Top with marinara sauce or pesto and top with shredded cheese. Bake in 400* until crisp and golden. Other topping ideas that sound good to me are olive oil, rosemary, kosher salt, pepper, crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Or garlic butter with cheese. Or maybe just some plain blue cheese.

3 comments:

DarkChocolateDaily said...

Awesome soups! Kath, love the new design.

Kathy said...

Hey! I'm SO glad that we are getting this going! I love talking about food! Don't we all, and those soups look sooo delicious! Thanks, Stepi!

I changed the set up a while ago but I was still unsure about it. Do you all like it or should I looks some more? Mom, liked it, too. We can change it whenever, though.

Thanks again, Steph!!

happytape! said...

love the new layout! nice choice, kathy!

steph, those soups look delicious! when i first saw the potato soup, i thought it was topped with rice. i was very confused.

i'll post some recipes, too, but my food pictures never look as good as yours.

i can't wait to talk about food in august. you guys are my favorite people to eat with because we never stop discussing the flavor, texture, etc. of every single bite!

i always feel very close to anyone i can talk food with, mostly because they remind me of my own sweet family. (i'm so sappy.)