Thursday, September 13, 2007

No Bake Noddles, Mango Salsa, Asian Meat Ball Soup

This picture is a couple months old but I thought I stick it with Emily's lasagna. It's made with those no bake noddles, too. I have used two types of no-bake noddles: Barilla, in a blue box and American Beauty in a red box (recipes on the back of the boxes). For your info, I like the American Beauty best. Barilla has separate directions for a 2 inch pan rather than a 3 inch pan to protect against spillage. (It seems like most people would have 2 inch, but whatever.) But it still spills! And I have made it twice with Barilla and both times it spills over and I've made lasagna a ton of times using American Beauty with no problems. ANYWAY, my advise just use American Beauty no-bake lasagna noodles.
This was the first time that I've made a mango salsa. YUM!! I loved it! I made it for fish tacos which were pretty good except for the fish part. I hate to admit this but next time I think that I'm just gonna buy frozen fish fillets and use those with the same recipe (in the Better Homes, & Gardens Cookbook).
One of my favorite soups: An Asia Meatball Soup. I double the meat balls and add more broth but I also always add too many noddles.

Meatball and Spinach Soup

Meatballs:

1 large onion, divided
½ lb lean ground sirloin
3 T. seasoned bread crumbs
¼ t salt
1 large egg, beaten
2-3 T. milk

Soup:

1 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 quarts chicken broth
4 oz vermicelli or angel hair pasta (I use more)
2 small yellow squash, sliced

1 bag spinach, very clean
1 T. Red wine vinegar (This is what gives it an Asian-type flavor.)

Grate 2 T. onion with beef, bread crumbs, salt, egg and milk. Dice remaining onion. In a 4 quart sauce pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion cook for 8 minutes. Add garlic. Pour chicken broth and bring to a gentle boil. Shape meat mixture into meat balls and gently drop them into the soup. Cook meat balls for about 5 minutes. Add pasta and cook till tender. Add spinach and let wilt. Then add squash and vinegar. I like the squash al dente so I don’t cook the soup for much long after adding in along with the vinegar. If you like a more Asian flavor, add more vinegar.

0 comments: