Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fun with Fondant

I recently read about Marshmallow fondant and wanted to try it! So for Gretta's birthday she picked this crazy giant cupcake pan mom had and I thought I'd try the fondant. I made the fondant the night before. It was super easy to make and made me long for my clay wedging days [how I would love a wheel and kiln!!] anyway... Here is the cake!

I think it turned out nice but I literally threw it together! I never give myself enough time for this stuff so I was working on it right before her party started. It took me about an hour but I could have used about 20 more minutes to get the lines straight on the bottom.
I had A LOT of fondant left over so the girls and I made several colors and played with it like clay to make little do dads to top cupcakes for Sasha's last day of pre-school. Here are some of the colors...
...And the girls helped knead the color in. It is pretty sticky so lots of powdered sugar and buttered hands helps.

Here is the final product. Cute, huh? Gretta did great. It was a little tricky for Sasha but I think I had the most fun. I did several after the kids were in bed and I had some quiet. Jonah made a really great monster and skull and bones but that was after these cupcakes.


Here is Sasha with one flower she made, that survived the making!
I think I made this little lady bug. The eyes and antennae are sprinkles.
And the last of the fondant was used to make this for Gretta's baptism! I think it turned out great.
Definitely try this marshmallow fondant. I really enjoyed everything about it!!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I am SOOOOO impressed! I love them all! Everything looks so professional!! You are so talented, Steph. You never give yourself enough time?! You never give yourself enough CREDIT!! Everything is all very beautiful. I want to try that marshmallow fondant soon...although I don't think what I produce will look nearly as cute as you have. 3D stuff isn't my forte. Not sure I really have a forte but, whatever.

SO CUTE, Steph!

Kathy said...

Hey. How did it taste? And did you have to use a ton of coloring? What kind of coloring did you use?

Stepi said...

I think it tasted better than regular fondant but its not that much different. I just used regular paste food coloring and it does not need tons. I just keep kneading in the color until I like it.

Hilary said...

Gorgeous! I'm going to try making a CTR cake like that for Alex's big day in October. Wish me luck.

Amanda said...

gorgeous!!! Very professional looking.