Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Dump" Cake

This ain't fancy.. maybe some of your kids will like to know about it. But my favorite thing is that all the ingredients are easily stored in your cupboard until you start wondering.. "I wish I had some kind of desserty treat" It is really yummy with vanilla icecream but does just fine on its own.

You need:
1 box cake mix (yellow or white works best)
2 cans cherry pie filling (or 2 cans of peaches, or probably any kind of canned fruit)
1 can crushed pineapple
1/2 stick butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 350. Open all the cans. Dump 2 cans cherry pie filling in bottom of
9x13 pan. Dump pineapple on top. Use a spoon to spread it around (don't need to mix it) Sprinkle dry cake mix on top. Cut butter into pieces and drop on top. Cook in oven for 30 minutes. Voila!

It is kind of like a crumble. I used too much butter last time and the top was kind of soggy but still pretty darn good. It is hard to go wrong with this one. For gluten free.. I dunno. Do they make gluten free cake mixes?

2 comments:

Stepi said...

I love dump cake! I have actually never made one but have eaten plenty!! And they do make gluten free cake mix so I will have to try it that way.

Oh, and by the way, we have pancakes for dinner at least once a week too! (gluten free mix). I love breakfast for dinner-cheap and fast!

Kathy said...

I love these kinds of cakes where you almost always have the stuff, just like you said, Emily. I have a recipe that's similar to this one.

And Scott just made puff pancakes (aka German pancakes) just Sunday.
You can't beat dessert for dinner!