Friday, August 24, 2007

Yummy Veggie Eggplant Dip And Tina's Bundt

Yesterday I had lunch at my friend's house. We try and do it fairly regularly and all make delicious things to contribute to the meal. I made the Barefoot Contessa's Eggplant Dip which I saw her make a few days ago on her TV show. So very tasty and healthy too! What a bonus.
I also had bookclub at my house last night and served the spread as well as Tina's Lemon Bundt Cake with added blueberries. So very yummy! Everyone died over the cake and had seconds. The funny thing is that both recipes are so simple I actually had to read the dip one a few times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. It just seemed to easy! Here are the recipes.

Roasted Eggplant Dip -Barefoot Contessa
1 medium eggplant
2 red peppers (I used one red and one orange)
1 red onion, peeled
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut the eggplant, bell pepper, and onion into 1-inch cubes. Toss them in a large bowl with the garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread them on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, tossing once during cooking.
Cool slightly.

Place the vegetables in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add the tomato paste, and pulse to blend. Taste for salt and pepper.

Serve with olives and feta cheese. I served mine with crisp flatbread crackers and tortilla crackers. The dip was good plan but I loved the added extra olive and feta on top!

Tina's a Bundthead Lemon Cake--this recipe came from my lovely sister Tina!
Everyone always thinks it is made from scratch but I always say it is a souped up cake mix because I am a very bad liar.

1 box lemon cake mix
1 box lemon jello
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs

Mix all ingredients. [I also added lemon zest and a little over a cup of fresh blueberries]. Bake at 350* in a well greased bundt for 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes then invert and glaze while hot. All the glaze will eventually be absorbed.

Glaze
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar ( I think last night I only used 1 cup and it turned out great)

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Yummy! Yummy! I need to make both of those things. Hey, did you fried chicken turn out?

Stepi said...

Yes! I made fried chicken the other night and it was really really good! Jonah was literally scarfing it down making groaning noises saying it was the best chicken ever. It was a lot of work and not very healthy but maybe once or twice a year would be ok. The kids all helped me which was a lot of fun. They didn't help with the frying only making the flour mixture and the shaking of the chicken in a tuperware bowl but it was fun!

Kathy said...

You'll have to give us tips on fried chicken because when I made it last is was A bomb...definitely NOT THE bomb!

happytape! said...

just so you know, i don't put lemon jello in my lemon cake anymore. i do the extra eggs, and alter the oil and water, but i don't add the jello. i don't know when i stopped doing it, but i don't notice any difference at all.

Stepi said...

Hey! thats funny that you wrote that Tina, because I usually don't put it in either! This time I put in a box of cheesecake pudding mix just to see what would happen. It was just as good as without it. I will often add more lemon juice to the batter. The best thing about the cake is the yummy glaze that soaks in!!