Monday, February 7, 2011

Yummy Almond Coconut bars

I altered a recipe the other day and made these for our park day. We all thought they were pretty tasty so here is the recipe. I love how the coconut got slightly toasted and crispy. Very sweet and similar to seven layer bars.

ALMOND COCONUT BARS

Crust
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c cold butter ( I used 2 T less)

Combine in food processor until it turns into course crumbs. Press firmly into a 9x13 pan then bake in a preheated 350* oven for about 15 minutes.

Layer two
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg
1 tsp almond flavoring
1 c slivered, slice or chopped almonds
1 c chocolate chips ( I added some white choc chips as well)

Combine well and pour over warm crust. Generously sprinkle coconut over the mixture. I only did half the pan because not everyone around here likes coconut (crazy, I know.) I also didn't measure but do as much as you like. Bake about 25 minutes longer. Watch near the end. My edges were a little darker than I like. Cool and cut into small bars.

1 comments:

Kathy said...

Yum, Yum! I love coconut! But yer right. Not everyone does. Thanks, Steph!