Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fran's Picnic Cake

Remember how mom would make batches of this (like thirty!!) at Christmas time growing up?? I didn't realize this was such a Christmas recipe for me until I made it last night for a get together. I love it. It seems old fashioned are reminded me of being a kid at Christmas.

Everyone is a little hesitant to try it at first. Let's face it. It is a little ugly. And if you tell people there are dates in it? Well, they usually, politely decline. I never tell people there are dates in it until they eat it. So funny! Here it is. Eat it up. Just tell people it is a delicious moist picnic cake with the best topping ever!

Fran's Picnic Cake

Combine:
1 cup cut up dates
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
Let cool to room temp.

Beat together:
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Add cooled date/water mixture to shortening mixture.

Sift together:
1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tbl Flour (weird, I know)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Stir into wet mixture. Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Cover with topping. Bake about 40 mins. in preheated 350* oven.

Topping:
Stir together 1 cup each of brown sugar, chocolate chips, and pecans or walnuts. sprinkle over the batter before baking.

2 comments:

happytape! said...

i love this recipe! i eat way too much of it! delicious!

Kathy said...

I gotta make it! Thanks for posting it. I won't tell anybody about the dates. shhhhhhh...