Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater Banana Cake

With summer, comes the piles of overripe bananas sitting on the counter that everyone refuses to eat! Today I had ten!!! Ten... Thanks to Vaughn and his over zealous trip to Sam's Club.
Anyway, I didn't want banana bread so I looked for a cake recipe. I found a few that looked good then I decided I was too lazy so I found this one instead! It uses a cake mix. (That's the cheating part.) It is good but what makes it GREAT is that I paired it with a salted caramel frosting recipe. Yum.

By the way, there is no pumpkin in the cake. Sorry. That's just how the rhyme goes, just so you knows.

Banana Cake
Mix together:
one yellow cake mix
3-4 ripe bananas (I used 4 smallish ones)
3 beaten eggs
1 C sour cream
1 tsp baking soda

Spread in greased 9x13 pan. Bake about 30-40 minutes in 350* oven.

Salted Caramel Frosting
Heat in medium sauce pan:
4 T butter
4 T milk
1/2 C brown sugar
Boil for one minute.
Then add:
a heaping 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla
Gradually whisk in 1 C powdered sugar.

Add milk if you think it's too thick. Immediately spread over cake. My cake was still slightly warm. I think it would be pretty with a sprinkle of kosher salt on it but my kids wouldn't go for it. The whole thing is quick and easy to make.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

YUM! Sounds great! I'm not a fan of banana "flavored" things, like banana LaughyTaffy. But I DO love real banana stuff, like bread and milk shakes. I'll have trie it. The salty frosting is very intriging. I bet it would be yummy on a chocolate type cake too.

Thanks, Steph!

happytape! said...

yum! that sounds delicious!