Sunday, June 13, 2010

Puff Pancakes & Our Sisters Dinner

I hate to move down Steph's yummy chocolate bar! but here are a few recipes from our end. We don't have the Puff Pancake Recipe here so I thought I would put it on (mostly because Nancy's been hounding me to do it). Scott's our master puff pancake maker and bakes it quiet often. We love it and Scott grew up enjoying it too.

Puff Pancake
1/2 cube butter
6 eggs
1 c. milk
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 425. Melt butter in a 9x13 pan in preheating oven while mixing batter (make sure it doesn't burn, though). Pan should be hot when batter is poured. Mix and beat together (do not overbeat) all ingredients. When butter is melted, pour mixture into dish and bake 20 minutes. It will puff high so don't put it on top shelf. Serve immediately. Makes 4-6 servings.

Here are our latest creations from our Sisters Dinner. If you don't know, (which I think all of you do but for those of you not in our family) we get together about once a month and each make a recipe for the Sisters, Oregon cookbook that Grandma gave us like 5 years ago. And I just realized that Nancy has my cook book so I can't write the recipes here just yet but here's what they were:

Nick made these super yummy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. page 116 Very tasty!

2 chicken breasts, baked, boned and cut into cubes
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can (4 oz) green chilies, chopped
1 pt. sour cream
3 green onions, chopped
12 flour tortillas
2 c. cheddar cheese, grated

Mix together chicken, soup, sour cream and onions. Put a large spoonful of chicken mixture and a small spoonful of cheese on 1 tortilla and place in a greased baking dish. Repeat, using all the tortillas. Spread remaining chicken mixture on top of rolled up tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.


Nancy made these Cowboy Coffee cakes (page 69) not to sweet but sweet enough. I think it wasn't hard, either. Right, Nanc-?

2 1/2 c. flour, sifted
2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c. shortening
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 c. sour milk
2 eggs, beaten

To make milk turn sour, squeeze lemon or add vinegar to the milk and set aside. Mix flour, sugar, salt and shortening until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture for topping. To remaining crumbs, add baking powder, baking soda and all spices; mix well. Add milk and eggs and mix well. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8x1 1/2" round pans and top with reserved crumbs. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 2 cakes.

I made this peanut Thai sauce. (page 53)The recipe was just for the sauce and it had a very strong flavor so I didn't put a ton of it in the pasta. I should've put it all in because I did in the leftovers and it was SOOOOO good. I'll make it again for our family but you really have to like this sort of flavor.

Put into blender and process 1 minute:
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
6 T. cold water
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp minced garlic clove

Add and process 1 minute:
6 T. smooth peanut butter

Combine and drizzle into blender while on low:
3 T. peanut oil
3 T. sesame oil
1/2 tsp chili oil

Use over bow tie pasta or spaghetti. You can add snow peas if you like. Can be served hot as a main dish, or cold, as a salad. You can also use with stir-fry. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for a week, and can be frozen.

These Sisters nights are SO fun! We have a blast. Next month I'm going to make the Cheese Puffs and the Pretzel Jell-O "salad" which is really a dessert but because it has Jell-O in it, it qualifies as a salad and is in the salad section of the cookbook. Can I put Snickers and candy canes in Jell-O and call it a salad? Anyway, we have a good time. Tina, Steph and Mom, you are always invited. :)

3 comments:

Emily said...

Next month maybe I'll make the 'How to Catch a Cowboy' recipe I'm dying to try. Although I already have. Caught mine, I mean

We need to do the next ne while Stephanie and Belva are out here. Well, not the next one (July) but the August one! Fun!

Stepi said...

Sounds great!! and yummy. I thought you already did the pretzel salad? I have two of my favorite recipes from that book. It is a great one!

Emily said...

I did the pretzel jello but it didn't turn out- will be good to do it right ;0)