Tuesday, March 30, 2010

WHat's Cooking in Sisters, March Edition


Kathy made some mexican lasagna recipe, pretty good. She'll have to say what she thought


LAYERED RASPBERRY DESSERT (page 153)
Angel food cake mix (prepared as directed)
i pks (3oz) raspberry gelatin
1 C boiling water
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen raspberries
i carton (8oz) low fat raspberry yogurt

Cut cake vertically in 1/2. Freeze 1/2 for future use. Tear the other half into bite size pieces. Pour water on gelatin in bowl and stir until dissolved. Add raspberries, breaking apart with a fork, saving several for garnish. Chill until thickened but not set, about 10 minutes. Layer 1/2 each of cake pieces, gelatin mixture and yogurt in a 1 1/2 quart bowl. Repeat. Garnish with raspberries and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serves 4

(Emily says: I doubled this recipe because there were so many of us but also because it cracked me up that they suggested freezing half the cake. I bought a store made angel food cake. After the squishy strawberry dessert from Feb I didn't want to use frozen berries. This gave me two problems. First, raspberrys are dang expensive in the winter. Second, the jello didn't thicken up. I waited as long as I could (about an hour) but finally poured it all together because we had to leave for church. This meant the cake soaked up the jello like a big sponge. Not bad, but weird texture. I should have thrown a few icecubes in to set up the jello. I'll have to make this again during the summer when I can do the 'right' way and berries are less expensive)



CHICKEN ADOBO
chicken thighs
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 C vinegar
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c brown sugar
3 bay leaves
1/2 c salad oil
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1 tsp MSG (left this out, ha ha!)

Mix all ingredients with chicken and cook until done. This can be done on top of stove in nice big pot. Serve with steamed rice. Nice on a cold day (we cooked it in the crock pot and then I put it with rice- thumbs up! says emily)




Latkes (Nancy made these, yum!)

2 comments:

happytape! said...

details!!

Kathy said...

This was fun! We'll have to do it agaiN!