Friday, May 4, 2007

Oh baby, can't get enough of CAKES!!

You all know how much I love making cakes. I'm not great or even good at it but I love doing it and getting better and figuring out what I like and what I don't like and what I could improve on.
This is a Texas Sheet Cake. Pretty common and everyone who makes this say they LOOOOVE it so I thought I give it a try. It was good. I need to make it again for better performance. It was hard to take out of the pan. Maybe I didn't bake it long enough. Have any of you made this cake? Any tips?
Made this one a while ago. The Heaven and Hell Cake. TOOOO sweet, too much work, too messy to cut, too feo and just toooo sweet.
Chocolate Crepe Cake. Oh baby, this was yummy! Chocolate crepes with a almond Swiss Cream (?). The first time I made it I thought that the crepes were too thin and hard to make. So the second time I made them thicker, too thick. The cake was hard to cut. So next time, I want a good in between. The presentation is soooo great I love it! Everyone oooo's and ahhhh's because it displays so well. RECIPE
Chocolate Ganache Cake. You CAN'T beat this cake!! I LOVE IT! I wanted to make Scott a Princess Cake for his birthday but he didn't want to be a princess and really wanted me to make this one again. The original MS recipe is here LINK but this first time I made it I didn't know that there was a difference between all-purpose flour and cake flour. DUH. Therefore it was a TOTAL DISASTER! I made those cakes twice that day with crappy results on the cake but yummy goodness on the ganache. But really, how can you mess up ganache? So I used Stephanie's AWESOME-amazing-can't-go-wrong chocolate cake recipe with the original ganache and now it's pretty much near perfect!

Stepi's Chocolate Cake

3 c. flour ALL-PURPOSE! Not cake flour
6 Tbs. coco
2 tsp baking soda
2 c. sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 c. oil
2 Tbs. vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
2 c. very cold water

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients and add to dry mixture. Mix till just moist. Grease and flour (or use coco) a 9x13 or 2 9" inch circular pans or cup cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-50 minutes, depending on your pan. Check frequently.

1 comments:

happytape! said...

steph's chocolate cake recipe is similar to one i use, but mine calls for boiling water. weird, huh?

i love all your pictures!